Come and join us in a discussion led by Caroline Bowditch with invited guests including Robert Softley Gale (Artistic Director, Birds of Paradise Theatre Company), Karen Anderson (Artistic Director, Indepen-dance) and Neil Price (Principal Dance Assistant/Dance Artist, Indepen-dance) to discuss and challenge our thinking around the visibility of disabled people in theatre and dance for young audiences.
BSL translation will be provided by Yvonne Strain.
Caroline is currently working with us on a year-long project, Weren't You Expecting Me?, to explore the following questions:
- Where/who are the disabled artists in Scotland?
- How many of them are thinking/about making work for young audiences?
- Are disabled children, and their families seeing/engaging with performance?
If not, why not?
- What prevents disabled children seeing performance?
- Do disabled audiences actually need different things?
- Who is including disabled performers in their work?
- Are there relevant conferences/symposium discussing this work?
- Is bespoke performance relevant/possible?
In addition to this, we will run a series of workshops facilitated by leading disabled artists and further Devil's Advocate sessions.