We are delighted to announce that this year the festival Opening Weekend will once again take place in the National Museum of Scotland. In partnership with the Museum we are inviting proposals from artists who would like to try out a new idea for children and their families within the exhibition and gallery spaces throughout the building. This call out programme will be curated by a group of Young Associates (age 16 - 25 years) in celebration of the Year of Young People.
The festival Opening Weekend is an excellent opportunity to be part of the festival, to try out a new idea and receive audience feedback. In the past, we’ve seen a wide range of walkabout characters, pop-up performances, spaces to make things, live music and more, including:
- Builder-clowns in high-vis jackets
- A human-scale game of snakes and ladders
- An intimate cello performance for one audience member at a time
- A special hair salon offering sound-escape therapy to places as exotic as Blackpool to
Things for you to consider:
- The museum is a noisy, vibrant space full of families and things to do, it has an average footfall of around 4.500 people per day. Think about what would be interesting, fun and an unexpected artistic experience for them to come across.
- Due to noise, dialogue-heavy performance pieces or performed readings aren’t suitable. As the audience is often passing through, interactive and walk about or pop-up pieces work well. Short performances that gather an audience can work if based on visual, sound and/or movement.
- The Opening Weekend is a free event so there will be a continual ebb and flow of visitors all day of various age ranges and interests. The majority of the audience are likely to be age 2 – 8 years with a smaller number of babies and children age 8+ coming along with their families.
- There is limited get-in and get-out time.
Our colleagues at the museum have very helpfully highlighted several areas that could be used during the weekend. This is not an exhaustive list but these are areas the museum staff have hosted similar styled events before and know work well for audiences. Please download this document (NMS Spaces for Opening Weekend 2018) for more detail about the main spaces available.
If you have a proposal that falls outwith these guidelines, please contact Fiona Ferguson, Creative Development Director. If you have a question about technical support, venue spaces or your budget please contact Pamela Walker, Producer.