Imaginate and ASSITEJ UK, with funding from Creative Scotland, are supporting a Scottish delegation to attend the 20th ASSITEJ World Congress and International Theatre Festival for Children and Young People in Tokyo in 2020. The delegation will strengthen ASSITEJ UK’s representation at the World Congress, in particular highlighting Scotland’s importance in the UK sector. The purpose of the visit is to increase opportunities for industry professional from Scotland to learn more about the sector globally, engage in Japanese and international touring and to develop new relationships.
Specifically the selected delegates will:
- See a diverse range of productions with a choice from the widest range of countries represented in any children’s festival in the world.
- Have the opportunity to attend a large variety of masterclasses, seminars, workshops and lectures on current issues led by experts from across the world.
Applications are now open for 5 Scottish artists, producers and representatives of organisations producing theatre and dance for young audiences to attend the World Congress and Festival. All successful applicants will be supported with funds for travel costs, accommodation, registration fee and tickets to approximately 12 productions. In addition, successful applicants who are independently employed and not in salaried positions, will also receive a per diem allowance for the week.
Funding is available to artists, producers or organisations based in Scotland who produce dance and theatre for young audiences. All applicants must be available for the World Congress and Festival dates of the Scottish delegation: 12 – 19 May 2020. NOTE: the Edinburgh International Children’s Festival will take place from 20-31 May 2020 and the planned trip is designed to allow participants to attend both events.
All applicants must be able to demonstrate that they have a genuine desire to attend the event and be able to outline its potential impact on their work and practice. This can include:
- Outlining how attendance may develop your practice, thinking and connectedness to the global sector.
- Having previous experience of touring Japan and looking to develop further opportunities, as well as those discovering the Japanese touring market for the first time.
- Having experience of touring elsewhere internationally (not essential)
It is expected that there will be 5 successful applicants and competition is likely to be high. Closing date for applications is noon on 10 February 2020. Shortlisted applications will be reviewed by a panel of four, made up of a representative of Imaginate, ASSITEJ UK, the Federation of Scottish Theatre and an external assessor.
Applications will be assessed on the benefit to the individual or the organisation, the capacity to promote Scottish dance and theatre for young audiences and the potential to develop future touring, collaborations or other initiatives. Consideration will also be given to the constituency of the delegation, aiming for a mix of experience, genre and career stage.
Imaginate will work with ASSITEJ UK and the Federation of Scottish Theatre to facilitate a dissemination event at which the 5 delegates can share their experiences with other Scottish artists. Imaginate will also host a blog on its website during the World Congress, and all 5 selected delegates will be asked to contribute an entry each to this blog over the course of their trip to Tokyo. The blog will include photographs.
Summary of timeline
- Call-out opens: 13 January
- Deadline for applications: 10 February noon
- Decisions communicated by: 20 February
If you have any questions, please contact:
0131 225 8050