We have now appointed all four artists who will deliver our new Where We Are project. The project will bring artists and children of refugee families together after the summer, in weekly sessions to create participatory theatre performances that explore the children's ideas of where we are right now.
- The Edinburgh residency will be delivered in partnership with the Safe Haven Project group at Multi Cultural Family Base and Marion Geoffray (Lead Artist) and Cynthia Cheung (Trainee Artist).
- The Glasgow residency will be delivered in partnership with Refuweegee, St Alberts RC Primary School and Katrine Turner (Lead Artist) and Sanjay Lago (Trainee Artist).
The project is supported by the Creative Scotland Youth Arts Targeted Fund and run in partnership with Lyra and Starcatchers with each partner running a distinct project strand. You can read about all three project strands below:
- Starcatchers - https://starcatchers.org.uk/work/where-we-are/
- Lyra - https://www.lyra.co.uk/what-s-on
- Imaginate - https://www.imaginate.org.uk/artists/projects/where-we-are/
The project partners will deliver a comprehensive training and development programme for the artistic team including anti-racism, trauma-informed practice, and child protection training, with opportunities for the creative teams to take part in peer to peer sharings and play days, mentoring and opportunities to shadow other strands of the project.
More information on the project as it develops will be posted here.
Multi-cultural Family Base (MCFB) is a voluntary organisation providing a range of services including emotional and practical support to vulnerable children, young people and their families. We work to support children and parents dealing with important transition points- this can be the birth of a child, the move into primary school or the move to Edinburgh. We help children and families deal with issues of identity, loss, displacement and trauma. Many of our families are from Black, Minority Ethnic (BME) communities and can be new migrants to Edinburgh or refugees
Refuweegee is a community-led charity that gives people a way to welcome and embrace those newest to arrive. We strive to ensure that people who have been forced to flee their homes arrive in Scotland to a warm welcome and some of the things that will help people to feel more at home here.