Immerse was a multi-year programme which embedded high-quality theatre, dance and creativity in schools who need it most. The project developed a long-term relationship with 6 primary schools located in areas of Edinburgh including Brunstane, Muirhouse and Wester Hailes, through the following activities:
- An immersive theatre adventure by Punchdrunk Enrichment where the normal school environment is transformed into a place of mystery and wonder.
- A 10-week artist residency, where 2 artists work with a full year group to explore particular topics or themes, developing pupils’ creativity, confidence and self-expression.
- A visit to a Edinburgh International Children’s Festival Performance, with subsidised transport available to every pupil.
- A 4-day, artist-led creative learning project, where children explore complex themes from a production they have seen and learn to formulate their own responses.
- A programme of CLPL training for teachers, giving them confidence and skills in arts-based learning.
The three years were progressive, starting in Year 1 with an artist-led experience, and ending in Year 3 with confident teachers ready to develop their own ideas with Imaginate and artists supporting them throughout the process.