Immerse is a ground-breaking programme which embeds high-quality theatre, dance and creativity in schools who need it most. The project is developing a long-term relationship with 6 primary schools located in some of the poorest areas of Edinburgh including Brunstane, Muirhouse and Wester Hailes.
The project will embed theatre and creativity over three years in the schools, through the following activities repeated over three years:
- An immersive theatre adventure, where the normal school environment is transformed into a place of mystery and wonder
- A 10-week artist residency, where 2 artists work with a full year group to explore particular topics or themes, developing pupils’ creativity, confidence and self-expression.
- A visit to a Children’s Festival Performance, with subsidised transport available to every pupil
- A 4-day, artist-led creative learning project, where children explore complex themes from a production they have seen and learn to formulate their own responses
- A programme of CLPL training for teachers, giving them confidence and skills in arts-based learning.
The three years will be progressive, starting in Year 1 with an artist-led experience, and ending up in Year 3 with confident teachers ready to develop their own ideas with Imaginate and artists supporting them throughout the process.