Teachers' Theatre Club is a new 3-year project run in partnership between Imaginate and Edinburgh Festival Fringe that aims to work like a book group but for live performance.
Each year, we will recruit a group of teachers (from state-run primary, secondary and ASN schools in Edinburgh) who will attend a range of performances over the year together. Following the shows, they will take part in facilitated discussions about the work they have seen, building up their experience and confidence to talk about performance and how they respond to the work. The group will also discuss how the shows could enhance and inform teaching practice by:
- Bringing a class to see a theatre or dance performance
- Incorporating aspects of the discussion into your practice
- Developing creative activities and tasks around the themes of a performance
The group will meet some of Scotland's key industry professionals including artists, designers, programmers, critics and production staff. The project will be co-designed with the group and will involve developing practical skills to enable them to confidently explore live performance both as an individual and as a teacher.
Teachers taking part in the project will benefit from:
- Sessions counting towards staff CLPL requirements
- Using critical thinking skills in an arts setting
- Enhancing the learning experiences of their learners
- Increased confidence in engaging with live performing arts
- Developing a network of arts professionals and organisations
Selected teachers will be asked to bring a colleague with them to sessions - someone who is not currently engaging with the arts, or lacks confidence in how to talk about performance.