Theatre Experience - Guidelines for Teachers
c. Kat Gollock
- Before the performance day: 0131 225 8050 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- On the performance day: 07708521522 (try first) / 0131 225 8050 (try second)
- Do arrive at the venue early (15- 20 minutes before the start time, as specified in your Travel Information document). This allows for travel delays, and gives time for our ushers to seat you before the show starts. We have a no latecomers policy, so please make sure you arrive in good time.
- Do let us know if you are running late, by phoning 07708521522. We can then see if we can delay the start time until you arrive, but this may not be possible.
- Do look out for our volunteers/staff in bright orange T-shirts, who will meet you when you arrive. Please let them know which school you’re from and how many are in your group. You do not need printed tickets.
- Do let children exclaim and react verbally during the performance. It is only a problem if they start talking to one another for longer, as this is distracting for other audience members; if this happens, please ask them to be quiet.
- Do talk to your class about the themes of the show before and/or after the performance. Our ‘Talking About Theatre’ interactive resource has been designed for this purpose: www.imaginate.org.uk/learning. We highlight each show’s links to the CfE on each show page (click ‘Schools Information’ green bar on the left): www.imaginate.org.uk/festival/whats-on
- Do remember that we offer 10-15 min Q&A sessions with the creative team after each morning performance (for primary and secondary level shows). Pupils can ask questions and gain a first-hand insight into the artists’ creative process. The duration / end-time of the performance does not include the Q&A.
- Don’t allow children to use phones, cameras or electronic toys during the performance, as this can be distracting for other audience members and the performers. It is fine to take photos in the theatre space before the show begins.
- Don’t give pupils drinks and snacks to take into the theatre. However, if you arrive at the venue early, this is a good time to have a snack in the waiting area, before going into the auditorium.